Skip to main content

Pepsi and the Process

A few months ago, I wrote a post on my investing process called: Why Do I Invest?. In section 4, I talk about connecting the story of a company (recent news, patterns in performance, products, predictable faults, etc.) to the numbers (debt, P/E, ROE, etc.).  I do feel it necessary for me to reiterate the importance of this because of a quote from a recent article.


“I picked Pepsi because I love Sun Chips. Cheddar Sun Chips are my favorite — that’s how I pick most of my stocks.”

Yes, I did buy Pepsi in part because of their products. But I picked it for more than just my growing love of the products, I picked it because a majority of our population buys Pepsi products. It started because I like their products, but it did not end there. I did more research than just open up a bag of chips and fall in love. Just as Aunt Ginny did, I looked at the company and tried their products, along with checking the numbers and learning more than just the calorie count of 12 servings of Cheddar Sun Chips.


Let’s start off my process with a fun fact: Pepsi makes more money on their chips than they do with their soda. With a brand valued at $10.6 billion, they’re bound for success as long as they follow the trends and listen to their consumers. To show off more of their power in the industry let’s look at their best-known brands (other than Pepsi): Sodas like Mountain Dew, Mug Root Beer, Lay’s, 7Up; Juice and Still beverages like Tropicana, Aquafina, and Snacks like Doritos, Cheetos, and yes Sun Chips. Those are nine of 22 brands each valued in the billions. In 2012, 48% of Americans drank soda (or pop in Minnesota), but Pepsi is more than just soda.


I know that many think of Pepsi as the little sister of Coca-Cola, but there are facts to prove that the belief is false. American’s soda consumption has hit its lowest point since 1986. On the other hand, by 2022 the market value of potato chips is supposed to be $40.3 billion. Coca-Cola’s brands are solely devoted to the drink industry, leaving Pepsi to take over the chip sector of the market. Currently, Pepsi’s brand, Frito-Lay’s, makes up 20% of their sales, and only 12% of their revenue comes from their soda.


Now that I did a little bit of research and know basic facts about the company and it’s potential, I can look at the numbers.


Company
Price to Earnings Ratio
20 or lower
Dividend Between 2-5%
Gross Margin
25% or higher
Return on Equity (ROE)
15% or higher
Debt
1.0 or lower
Pepsi (PEP)
24.13
3.22%
19.31%
16.73%
2.95


With a Price to Earnings Ratio at 24.13, it’s a little high, and so is their Debt. Their Gross Margin is a low as well. Right now might not be the best time to buy in my opinion, but with their brand and capability to perform well, I’m not ruling it out. If Pepsi’s stock fell 17% from today's price ($116.78) to $96.80 per share, in my opinion, it could be a good time to buy.

Investing should be as simple as possible, but buying a stock takes more work than just eating Sun Chips. Mock me all you want, but don’t mock the process. 

If I haven't gone over it enough, here is my step by step process:

1. Find a product you like.
2. Check to see if it has a stable moat to test your beliefs that it is here for the long term.
3. Is it Socially Responsible and/or Sustainable?
4. Learn about its potential by checking the news, simple statistics (how many people drink soda, how much that percentage is decreasing, etc.), and predictions.
5. Make sure the numbers back up the story, and either buy or wait for a desired price.
6. Follow the company because numbers, products, etc. change with the times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monsoon Pabrai Prevailing with Force

Lighthouses in Monsoon’s Words “My lighthouse would be knowing when I am not happy, finding my purpose. When you are not having fun, something is wrong. My family is my lighthouse. They helped me to realize I was not happy and try something else.” Monsoon Pabrai, is like her name: she prevails with force. She was born into the world of finance. Her father, fund manager Mohnish Pabrai, tried to encourage Monsoon and her sister to be as fascinated with investing as he is. She graduated from the University of California Berkeley in 2017, but don’t let her short career fool you. Monsoon is the current marketing and community lead at Coral Labs, a start-up company. Prior to working at Coral Labs, she was an investment analyst intern at the UCLA Foundation and worked as a research analyst for Dalton Investments. During dinner, if her father was excited about a recent investment, he would break it down for Monsoon and her sister. She became curious and wanted to invest on her o

The Bank that Stood the Test of Time and Tides

On December 26th, 1993, Robert Gaughen took over Hingham Institution for Savings as CEO during a tumultuous time for the bank. A former Hingham president was arrested on charges that the illegally approved loans costing the bank millions, and for which he allegedly received $240,000 in illegal payments.  The bank was also underperforming. Non-Performing Assets were $9.4 million in 1992, 6.2% of assets, which were quickly reduced by 90% to $0.9 million, 0.62% of assets, in 1994, and only continued to improve from there. Asset quality is critical to the survival of a bank, and along with these improvements, Hingham began paying a dividend in 1994.  *Source: Hingham Institution for Savings’s 1994 Annual Report  Over the next 26 years, the company’s loan quality improved, its branch network expanded outside of Hingham, Massachusetts, and Book Value per Share grew 14 times. The company’s share price has grown 15.6% per year (including dividends).  *Hingham Institution for Savings’s 2018 Ann

The Power of Investing

Recently I talked at my school about investing. I will be singling out the Humility Curve for an upcoming post if you found that interesting.Scroll down to learn more about kids and investing, the power of investing, and my Brother's Stock Researcher .