Skip to main content

The Most Amazing Snowball of All: Rose Blumkin

imgres.jpgRose Blumkin (Mrs.B), there are so many things to say.


Rose Blumkin was the founder of Nebraska Furniture Mart. She founded Nebraska Furniture Mart in 1937. Berkshire Hathaway’s (BRK.B) acquired the company in 1983, making Mrs. B the first and only (at the time) female manager at Berkshire.


Before all that started she was a Russian immigrant with a talent for business. At the time women were to earn a living for their family, while the men studied. Luckily, her mom had a knack for business. She learned the ways of business from her mother, and at age thirteen got tired of watching her mother strain to make money.


Mrs. B took it into her own hands, walking 18 miles to another city in Russia to find a well-paying job out of town. She was persistent and stubborn even as a child, stopping at every door to look for a place to sleep. She finally came across a store owner who said, “You’re a kid.” To that, she said, “I’m not a beggar… Tomorrow I will go to work.” The shop owner couldn’t say no, by dawn Mrs. B was up and working. Three years later, at age sixteen, she became the overseer of the store and her six employees.


When the war started she had no other option but to flee Russia. Mrs. B took a train to the China-Russia border. She said, “I had no passport. At the China-Russia frontier, a soldier was standing guard with a rifle. I said to him ‘I am on the way to buy leather for the Army. When I come back I'll bring you a big bottle of vodka.’ I suppose he’s still waiting there for his vodka.” After promising the guard a drink in order to let her pass, she was on a freighter to America. When she landed she met her husband, Isadore Blumkin, in Iowa.


After moving from Iowa to Omaha in 1919, in search for more Russian and Jewish people; Isadore opened a small second-hand clothing store that made around $10 per week. Later in their life, the depression came along, that is when Mrs. B showed her feathers of business skill.


Her husband would sell his clothing at the same price he bought them, making no profit. Luckily, Rose Blumkin knew better. She said, “You buy a pair of shoes for $3, sell them for $3.30.” That’s the power of low overhead costs. She had built a large business for her boss back in Russia, she could do the same here in America. With Isadore working in the store, there had to be another source of income. Mrs. B began to put prices on all her furniture. When guests came over and saw a piece of furniture, lampshade, or anything that they admired it was for sale. “Then, in ’37, I got tired of everybody crying Depression,” she said.


She got real tired of it, so tired she started her business that same year. She started with $500 her brother loaned to her. Her store was only 30x100 foot basement under her husband’s pawn shop. She learned the best way to have returning customers is to make a small profit (10% in her case) and do anything for them, there was no other way. She didn't believe that success and power were made because of cheating someone out of their dollar or scaring them into a purchase.


This was a new idea to some merchants. “The merchants were very rotten to me. When I walked in Merchandise Mart to buy furniture, to buy anything, they used to kick me out and say, ‘Don’t bother us. We’re not going to sell you nothing. Brandeis and Rogers won’t let us sell you anything.’ I used to almost start to cry. My face would get red and I’d say, ‘Someday you’ll come to my store to try to sell to me, and I’ll kick you out the same way that you did to me.’ And my wish come true. Who would ever suspect? Never. I outlived them all.”


She got a wholesaler to sell to her eventually. Purchasing the carpet at $3.00 and selling it at $3.95 worked out perfectly for her, the cheapest after hers was $7.95. She started out having a 10% overhead cost but would increase it as long as the price was reasonable and fair to customers. Nothing could compete. Throughout her career, she was sued numerous times for unfair trade. And every time she said the same thing, “Judge, I sell everything at 10% about cost. What’s wrong? Can’t I give my customers a good deal?” The case was thrown out. Helping customers is not a crime.


Even at age 100, she worked 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week. And sexism was never a thought in her mind, “When it comes to business, I could beat any man and any college graduate. I mean I use my own common sense. That’s what I use for business, for anything.”


She raised a good business and her family continues to carry out her legacy. She is one in a million and as hard as a rock.

If you want more information read The Women of Berkshire Hathaway by Karen Linder!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monsoon Pabrai Prevailing with Force

Lighthouses in Monsoon’s Words “My lighthouse would be knowing when I am not happy, finding my purpose. When you are not having fun, something is wrong. My family is my lighthouse. They helped me to realize I was not happy and try something else.” Monsoon Pabrai, is like her name: she prevails with force. She was born into the world of finance. Her father, fund manager Mohnish Pabrai, tried to encourage Monsoon and her sister to be as fascinated with investing as he is. She graduated from the University of California Berkeley in 2017, but don’t let her short career fool you. Monsoon is the current marketing and community lead at Coral Labs, a start-up company. Prior to working at Coral Labs, she was an investment analyst intern at the UCLA Foundation and worked as a research analyst for Dalton Investments. During dinner, if her father was excited about a recent investment, he would break it down for Monsoon and her sister. She became curious and wanted to invest on her o

The Bank that Stood the Test of Time and Tides

On December 26th, 1993, Robert Gaughen took over Hingham Institution for Savings as CEO during a tumultuous time for the bank. A former Hingham president was arrested on charges that the illegally approved loans costing the bank millions, and for which he allegedly received $240,000 in illegal payments.  The bank was also underperforming. Non-Performing Assets were $9.4 million in 1992, 6.2% of assets, which were quickly reduced by 90% to $0.9 million, 0.62% of assets, in 1994, and only continued to improve from there. Asset quality is critical to the survival of a bank, and along with these improvements, Hingham began paying a dividend in 1994.  *Source: Hingham Institution for Savings’s 1994 Annual Report  Over the next 26 years, the company’s loan quality improved, its branch network expanded outside of Hingham, Massachusetts, and Book Value per Share grew 14 times. The company’s share price has grown 15.6% per year (including dividends).  *Hingham Institution for Savings’s 2018 Ann

The Power of Investing

Recently I talked at my school about investing. I will be singling out the Humility Curve for an upcoming post if you found that interesting.Scroll down to learn more about kids and investing, the power of investing, and my Brother's Stock Researcher .